8/10/2017 5:00:00 AM Virginian Review Celebrates 103rd Birthday
Celebrating 103rd Anniversary
The Covington Virginian Inc., publishers of The Virginian Review and The Virginian Review Online, is celebrating its 103rd anniversary with today’s edition. The newspaper began Aug. 10, 1914, in the Graham Building on the corner of Monroe Avenue and Main Street, where TechSmart Computers is located today. It moved to Monroe Avenue in January of 1929 and into its current location on North Maple Avenue in September of 1993. The photo above was taken around 1941 in front of the newspaper’s second location on Monroe Avenue.Pictured, from left, motor-route carrier Fred White, Publisher Major R.F. Beirne, Circulation Director Bob Woods, and carriers Mr. Womack and Sidney Oliver. (Virginian Review File Photo)
BY DAVID S. CROSIER Online Editor It’s business as usual at The Virginian Review today.
The only difference is the staff of the Covington Virginian Inc., publishers of The Virginian Review and The Virginian Review Online are celebrating another milestone — 103 years of service to residents of the Alleghany Highlands and beyond.
In a day and age where newspapers are being replaced by changes in technology and reading habits, both the print and online versions of The Virginian Review continue to offer the local news and sports not found in the cacophony of today’s electronic innovations.
But adapting to changing times is nothing new to The Virginian Review.
During its 103 years in business, the newspaper has weathered two world wars that depleted its manpower, the Great Depression, three fires, two labor strikes, a name change, the advent of radio in the 1920s and the emergence of television in the 1950s and added an online edition in 2009 to meet the demands of readers in the new millenium.
What is now known as The Virginian Review began on Aug. 10, 1914, when Major Richard F. Beirne Jr. transformed the weekly Covington Dispatch into the daily Covington Virginian.
Major Beirne started The Covington Virginian to give readers daily updates on the ongoing war in Europe.
Major Beirne served until 1946 when his son, Col. Richard F. Beirne III, was named publisher.
“The Colonel,” as he was affectionately known, served as publisher until his death in 1992, when his son, Horton P. Beirne took over the reins of operation.
When Horton died in January 2015, his wife, Mary Ann Beirne, was named publisher and continues to serve in that role today.
The Covington Virginian became The Virginian Review with the publication of the Jan. 3, 1989, edition, following the Beirne family’s acquisition of The Daily Review newspaper in Clifton Forge.
The Beirne family continues to own and operate The Covington Virginian Inc., making it one of the few remaining family-owned newspapers in the commonwealth of Virginia.
The current full and part-time staff of The Virginian Review and Virginian Review Online include: Mary Ann Beirne, publisher; David S. Crosier, general manager and online editor; Karen Graham, advertising director; Ray Worley, circulation director; Larry O’Rourke, news editor; Mark Pifer, sports editor; Darrell Gleason, Jerome Johnson and Pam Marshall, reporting staff; Gavin Dressler, chief photographer; Adam Zebrowski, graphic designer; Mark Casstevens, classified advertising; Lesley Nickell, display advertising sales and Coite Beirne and Darrien Beirne, circulation staff.